Wednesday 23 July 2008

Introductions

I figured the best way to start off this blog was with a fairly standard introduction. My name is MalphasWats and I am a Pod Pilot in the universe of New Eden...

I was inspired by the EVE Online Blog Pack, put together by CrazyKinux. I've been reading all about the various adventures of various Pod Pilots throughout the universe (some I even recognise the names of) and figured it might be interesting to keep my own blog.

I first joined the ranks of pilots in 09 June 2003, New Eden was a different place then; my first million isk came slow and hard, endlessly chipping away at floating spacerocks with a civillian mining laser. I can remember being overjoyed at getting my first Probe and finally being able to fit a second mining laser! Ah heady days.

I played Eve with a small group of friends whilst we waited for Starwars Galaxies to be released. Naive times. After SWG failed us horribly, our little group shifted between City of Heroes and a short spell back in Eve whilst we waited for World of Warcraft. Wow stole us for a good while, but I got out before it could consume me whole.

I went cold turkey from MMPORGS for quite some time, spending afternoons shooting glowy twirlly shapes on my Xbox 360 but I couldn't get over the vague feeling that there was something missing.

Every month or so, my inbox would be graced with a newsletter from Eve Online. It didn't feel like they were begging me to come back as so many of the SWG newsletters had. Eventually in February of 2008 I gave in to my urge and returned.

My how things had changed.

New ships, a new graphics. A whole swathe of new features that had been mere glints in the developers' eyes when I had last stepped into my pod. When I'd last played, cloaking devices hadn't quite been released yet but were promised in the next patch and here were shiny new covert ops ships, entirely dedicated to this clandestine technology.

My delight turned to dismay as I realised that it was all so complicated! I could barely remember how to get out of the station, let alone fly complicated combat manuvers. How did I ever remember all of this? Am I just too old to play this sort of stuff now?

It's surprising how fast it all comes back though, once you start to immerse yourself in the world!

I quickly realised that my carefully trained character, nearly 5 years old, was not the future of my Eve Career. I started a new trial account and quickly realised that with the changes to character creation since I last played, I effectively started off with combat skills almost as advanced as the mish mash of cross trained this and multi-specced that.

MalphasWats was born into New Eden, a newbie in a veteran's re-newbified hands and this is his blog.

2 comments:

CrazyKinux said...

Welcome back mate! Looking forward to reading about your adventures! And thanks for the pimpimg!

CK

MalphasWats said...

Thanks for your effort in putting it together! I hope that my inelegant scratching might reach a quality worthy of inclusion!