Sunday 27 July 2008

Spider Drones

They codenamed it Angel Extravaganza, which I thought was a little glib but as long as I get paid they can call it Happy Fun Clown Time for all I care.

I headed to the station hangar bay where the new Mordant Core was being fitted ready. The 150mm Light Autocannon II sat on the hangar floor gave me the clue that things weren't going to schedule.

A couple heated exchanges with the shipyard foreman and a few hours cooling my heels later and the new Mordant Core glided into space its spotless armour plating gleaming in the light from the system's star.

I plugged the co-ordinates I'd been given by Ornljorn and activated the warp drive.

Intel was pretty good this time, and they were sending exactly the wrong types of ship at me. The Mordant Core excels at taking out cruisers supported by handfuls of frigates and the odd battlecruiser and that was exactly what they sent. Not a good day for the Angel Cartel!

I'd been tasked with taking out an Angel commander by the name of Terzam Tazzon and I was pretty deep within the Angel deadspace complex before my scanners found his Battlecruiser. I was still a good 70Km from his ship when his 2 spider drones intercepted me. Drones don't usually cause a problem for my trio of light autocannons but these packed an extra punch: webifiers.

Now for missions such as these, the Mordant Core is kitted out to deal with stasis webifiers but with 2 fast drones both interferring with my engines they were able to sit just on the edge of my weapon range. Close up, my high-tech guns make short work of anything I point them at but if I can't get them close, they miss. A lot.

It took 5 full magazines of ammo to take out the first spider drone, by which time my shields were nearly depleted and my capacitor was heading the same way. I made a 'tactical withdrawal' to let my systems recover before heading back into the complex to finish the job.

With only 1 webifier left, I made short work of the last spider drone before shredding Terzam's ship to scrap.
All in, a very successful maiden voyage for the new Mordant Core.

No comments: