Sunday 25 January 2009

Drama Bomb

Mynxee wrote a discussion post about the Corp Drama Bomb. When I read it, it made me smile as I've read loads of accounts on the forums and in other peoples' blogs about it but I didn't have anything of my own to add to the discussion; until today.

As I've mentioned before, I have mostly played solo or with a small group of close friends. Just before Christmas I joined up with a corporation and have been enjoying the opportunity to experience new things in game.

This weekend, the shit hit the fan, but not only did the shit hit the fan, but I WASN'T EVEN THERE!

Now, so far, the corp is still alive, the bomb didn't strike a killing blow but I think it will be a while before we fully recover.

It all started with a mineral windfall.

One of our corp members had been dilligently mining a metric fuckton of various minerals. He dumped the minerals into the corp hangar but at this point things got a little tricky. Our corp offers about 80% of market value for mins, they build stuff with it and proceeds go to the corp. However in this case, the value of the minerals far exceeded the corp wallet. An arrangement was made that things would be made with the minerals and sold and money would be paid in installments. Everyone is happy life goes on.

Second corp mate, bit in production, running a big recruitment & training programme for the corp inquires as to the availability of some of the massive stockpile of minerals in the corp hangar. Corp tells him the situation denies him access to them, he offers to pay for them, still no go.

This irks him ever so slightly but it takes about a week for it all to kick off. He makes repeated appeals for a small amount of minerals to be made available; he hasn't been able to mine because of the time he has spent with new recruits and is told repeatedly that he won't be given access to any corporation assets. Eventually, CEO gets fed up and expels him.

Other members, loyal to this guy are up in arms and "I quit and this is why" corpmails abound.

Now, I'm wise enough to realise that there has to be more to it on both sides that this (this account is pretty much all I've been able to squeeze out so far), but what is very obvious is that it was very much avoidable (from both sides again).

I'm not making any plans to leave the corp over this, but it does leave me a little sad. We've lost a fair chunk of our 0.0 sec pilots to it too, so I think our operations down there may well be affected.

I think this is just the first chapter in what will probably be a long drawn out affair.

No comments: