Monday 26 January 2009

Holy cow, this is gonna be sweet!

I've just finished reading the dev blog about the upcoming expansion to EVE, specifically how the wormholes will work and how we will find them.

I've only just got the training for exploration, having set off on many tangential paths that have finally converged on me being able to fly a half decent exploration ship. I still need to boost my Astrometrics skill, but I'm well on the way.

I loved the whole idea of the exploration mechanic and I'm excited about the new content. What I'm even more excited about are the propsed changes to the scanner and probe mechanics:

  • You will be able to drop more than one probe in a grid
  • Probe scan ranges can be adjusted via a drag and drop interface in the 3D map, removing the need for multiple probe types
  • Probes can be repositioned in the solar system map using a drag and drop interface and will warp to their specified positions
  • Scanning will now use triangulation to refine and improve accuracy of scan results
  • You can recall probes for re-use at a later point and time
  • The transition from ship view to 3D Solar System view to Universe Map view has been made near instant, allowing for quick switching between them



Awesome!

I had been wondering how the whole "probe out wormhole, fly through wormhole, wormhole closes, run out of probes before you find the way back" thing was going to work and this answers it and really makes the system cool!

There's lots more in there and I really think this will add a lot of really cool stuff to the game.

1 comment:

CrazyKinux said...

It's an area of EVE that had been neglected and is finally getting some attention. Finally!